We all procrastinate a little bit here and there. But there’s no need to put off figuring out “What’s in my bag?” for your daily routine. And, having a “daily routine” makes all of this even that much easier!
Refer to this post whenever you’re unsure of what to throw in that bag of yours.
Packing a lunch? Don't let your lunch bag get you down.
Lunch should be a big meal during your day (maybe the biggest!). Your body needs alllll the things to keep you going through your afternoon. Try packing a few items from each section in this list so you don’t end up at the coffee shop or in the drive-thru!
- Protein (eggs, cheeses, meats, protein drinks, etc.)
- Fiber-filled carbs (fruits, starchy veggies, whole grains, etc.)
- Veggies (fill up on your favorites!)
- Snack for the afternoon “hangries”
- Water bottle (add cut–up fruit or water “add-ons”)
Need some meal–planning inspiration? Check out our blog post Meal Planning … Yes, it’s for you.
Heading to work? Make sure your work bag works for you.
Try packing the night before and see how much time you save in the morning! Do you have everything? Eyeball the checklist below before heading out the door. You might even be able to move that alarm back a few minutes!
- Computer/phone chargers (use cord clips or rubber bands to keep your cords organized!)
- Wallet (keep a few dollars in cash with you when possible for emergencies)
- Stain remover
- Snacks (protein bar or shake, trail mix, or something with protein and carbs to get you through in a pinch)
- Notepad and pen
- Cell phone (although this is probably already in your pocket)
- Business cards
- Chapstick, gum (or any other of your usual toiletries)
- The book you’re currently reading (or other reading device)
Going to the gym? Packing your bag is the first rep in your workout.
Don’t let that early–morning wake–up to hit the gym get you down. Pack your bag the night before and set it by the door. Or, have it ready and in the car for those days you head to the gym after work. Follow this list and you’ll be ready to go before you even get up!
- Workout clothes and shoes (Pro Tip: Set them out next to your bed the night before)
- Water bottle
- Pre–workout or energy drink (keep in the fridge so it’s ready and cold before you leave!)
- Extra socks
- Flip flops (for after your workout sesh)
- Change of clothes
- Post-workout protein shake or snack
- Dry shampoo, hair ties (or any other toiletries you’ll need)
Hitting the trail? Make sure your backpack does, too.
Packing a small backpack will save you a panic attack three miles in when you get thirsty, or hungry, or need to start a fire, or get lost ... Here are the basics to keep in mind for your everyday hikes. Prepping for the unexpected is always a good plan!
- Navigation (a paper map or maps downloaded to your phone in case you don’t have a signal)
- First aid kit (Need one? Check these out.)
- Water bottle
- Emergency blanket
- Fire starter
- Toilet paper & hand sanitizer
- Raingear (roll up an outer shell to keep you dry!)
- SPF (skin care is the ultimate emergency prevention)
- A separate bag to pack out any trash that you brought with you (check out this post for 10 Environmental Sustainability Tips)
It might seem that prepping bags like these is a hassle (and sure, in the moment it might feel that way), but in the end, it saves you time, money, and sleep—the trifecta of things we’d all love more of. So, pick an activity and get to packing!
Do you pack your bag the night before work or the gym? The morning of? On your way out the door? See anything we missed on our lists? Let us know in the comments below!